Dodoma city is in the Tanzania southern highlands. It is enveloped by fertile, lush lands, presenting an ideal climate for agriculture. It has a captivating wine industry and many interesting sites.
The rapid growth of industrial infrastructure and transport have dwindled recently. However, tourist attractions are attracting to bring visitors regularly to Dodoma.
Places of attractions
This is one of the largest mosques in Tanzania and the second largest in East Africa, following the Uganda National Mosque. This mosque acquired its name from Muammar Gaddafi, Libya’s former leader who also funded the construction. The interiors of this mosque hold around 3,000 worshippers.
The Lion Rock is in Dodoma northern part. It offers a thrilling experience of hiking this hill.
University of Dodoma
Opened officially in 2007, the University of Dodoma is from the city center at a distance of 8km. there are different departments handling 22000 students and the latest courses are available.
Other places of interest include:
The other places include Bunge, Ruaha National Park, Tarangire National Park, Dodoma Cine Club, Lake Munguri, Usungu Game Reserve, Shabibi Supermarket, and more.
Kondoa Irangi Rock Paintings
Visit Kondoa Irangi Village, 22 km to the north of Kondoa, and nearly 280 km from Arusha. There are prehistoric paintings in a beautiful collection and it has around 200 sites and 1600 pictures. The attractions include:
- Decorated shelters
- Traditional ritual beliefs
- Symbols paintings
Things to do
During your Dodoma visit, go on tours such as:
- Kondoa town tour
- Royal village tour
- Walking tour of Kolo village
- Sambwa hill trekking tour
Taste local food
Grab a meal and not-to-miss the wonderful pizzas. For quality food, visit:
- Aladdin to satisfy your sweet tooth. There are pizzas and burgers as well.
- New Dodoma Hotel for international menu, Indian and local recipes for sumptuous menus there is Chinese Restaurant inside.
- KRose’s Café offers pocket-friendly prices and Indian dishes in a variety.
- Dodoma Wimpy for burgers and local cuisine.
- VETA provides good food with soft music. The service is slow as they prepare after receiving the order.
- Shabibi Supermarket for supplies stock
- Yashna’s Supermarket for the canned stuff, cosmetics, biscuits, and chocolates.
- Two Sisters for homemade yogurt, chocolates, wine, pasta, Indian cuisine snacks, crisps, candies, and frozen goods.
For explorers visit:
- Museum of GeoSciences, Anglican Church, Jamatkhana Mosque, Lutheran Cathedral, Catholic Cathedral, and Nyerere Square.
- Sports enthusiasts make see Dodoma Skate Party and Party animals visit the NK Disco. The younger crowd can enjoy the vibrancy. For a quiet drink, VETA is the best bet.
How to access
There are 6 ways from Uganda to reach Dodoma and it is by plane, taxi, bus, ferry, car or train.
Dodoma has a small airport and it is 1.5 km from the heart of the city.
Dodoma has upgraded railway and road networks leading to the city and other domestic destinations. There are abundant taxis and rental cars to get around the city.
Best time to visit
Dodoma is a beautiful place in Tanzania. The best time to visit is from January to December and the temperature is warm.